Dr. Andrew Myers's Top 10 Tips for Weight ManagementFirst of all, let me say, 'Diets don't work.; Now, let me qualify my statement. On an individual basis certain diet programs can be successful for some people, but in general, diets don't work. In an effort to offer simple, actionable suggestions for healthy weight management, here are 10 that can make a big difference in both the short and long terms:
1. Exercise daily. Walk, run, swim, dance or hit the weights. Some form of daily aerobic exercise is essential to promoting a healthy weight.
2. Drink more water. Replacing a 20 ounce regular soda with 20 ounces of water each day can save you over 90,000 calories in a year.
3. Eat less. Try and eat 80% of what you normally consume. Reducing your daily intake by 100-200 calories per day can make a big difference over the course of a year.
4. Eat fresh, whole foods. Translation: Eat more vegetables, fruit and whole grains.
5. Avoid all processed, junk and fast foods. What that really translates into is giving up white sugar, white flour and all of the other starches that are so common in our diets today.
6. Eat on a regular schedule. Eat a healthy meal or snack every two to three hours. Maintaining stable blood sugar levels helps to keep your metabolism on track throughout the day.
7. Start eating a hearty, healthy breakfast. It helps you eat less food throughout the day.
8. Limit your intake of alcohol. The impact of this tip varies from individual to individual, but there are people who have lost significant amounts of weight simply by cutting out alcohol. Remember that alcohol is a kind of super-sugar and can be a very significant source of calories for some people.
9. Eating out? Eat half of your meal and bag the rest. A typical restaurant entree has 1,000 to 2,000 calories, not counting the bread, appetizer, beverage, and dessert.
10. Supplement your diet. Take a high-quality multivitamin to insure that you are getting extra vitamins and minerals. Try adding 400 to 1,000 mcg of chromium picolinate to your daily supplement routine to help you lose fat and maintain lean muscle.